[3830] CQ160 CW VE3CV Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 28 16:33:10 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3CV
Operator(s): VE3CV
Station: VE3CV

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 13:17

Total:  QSOs = 349  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 30  Total Score = 153,085

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Sunny day Friday so walked all the Beverages to check for tight connections and
good resistors and coax...found 270deg BOG with bad coax..probably water, so was
a bit def to the west.  Good news was that all my local wind towers were asleep
so no QRM/QRN!  Friday night was a dream..almost like 2009, so way too much fun.
 Put P33W in the log a 0046Z...normally have to wait until 0300Z with 100W for
EU. Made 22 10 pointers on Friday/Saturday and beat best score for this
contest...all S&P.  What fun at the close of EU sunrise with 4 G stations
showing up after 0800Z and then MI0BPB coming on at 0829Z with most of NA gone
to sleep....one call.  Finally KH7X at 0900Z, but it was a struggle....still no
prop to the Pacific this year.

Different story Saturday/Sunday...as all of you know.  All the wind towers were
turning putting S1 birdies almost everywhere on the band!  Only one 10 pointer
from CR2W at 0829Z, but mostly because I was falling asleep at the keyboard and
decided to snooze (OMG!) at 0230Z for an 1.5 hour to give my brain a chance to
make it through EU sunrise again. But dummy set the alarm for 11AM instead of
11PM (0400Z) and didn't wake up until 0800Z...bummer.  Getting too old.  At
least I have read that EU sunrise was not as good Sunday morning. No
consolation. Slim pickings after that, so packed it in at 0900Z.  After reading
Mike's VE9AA comments, I shouldn't complain about local noise sources. Yikes.

Missed NE and AK for WAS and a bunch of Canada as usual.  Some amazing ears out
there so thanks for all the Qs.

Finally, CQ why do SOLP(A) stations have to enter as SOHP(A) only in this
contest?  I think there are enough of us without 160m amps that would like to
compete amongst ourselves than to have to play with the QRO big boys.  Seems
silly to me, but I'm only here for the DXing (hence Assisted) and to test the
station.  On the other hand, why does 3830 submittal form and N1MM allow SOLP(A)
category to be entered for CQ160CW?  Online score reporting has it correct.  We
all end up as HP in the final CQ analysis.

Overall, a great contest with lots of good Ops and just a few alligators.  Back
under my rock.
73, Jeff VE3CV

Station:
Yaesu FT-1000MP (1995) with Inrad 250Hz and Roofing filters.
80m inverted V Zepp at 50ft used as top loaded vertical  with 16 radials.
Temporary winter 600ft Beverages for EU (45), JA (330), and AF (90).
BOGs for VK (270) and SA(170).
N1MM+ worked great as usual...thanks to the developer team!