[3830] CQ160 CW KA1IS Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 28 17:40:48 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Bethel, ME
Operating Time (hrs): 24+

Total:  QSOs = 1015  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 62  Total Score = 526,080

My first time in the contest. It only took 47 years to figure out how to build a
vertical antenna with wire. Don't know if conditions were typical, but it was
exciting to dig signals out of the noise. There was much noise: QRM, QRN, RFI,
voices in my head, etc., But also a ton of signals. I was not familiar with 160
propagation and kind of shocked to work EF2A and YR2V in daylight at 4:30 in the
afternoon. The craziest thing is when the band opens to Europe here, there were
US stations on exact same frequency as EU stations and when I called the EU
stations - both would come back at the same time and it felt like my brain was
exploding. I didn't have the skill to log 2 stations on the same QSO, but maybe
next time.

Antenna is a vertical tee using the feed line of a doublet strung between pine
trees and fed against 32 1/8th wave radials. Plus 2 short reversible beverages.
Who would have thought that the vertical would work best in a swampy pine
grove?

I was blown away with how considerate and friendly everybody was.