[3830] CQ160 CW WD5COV Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 28 18:48:51 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WD5COV
Operator(s): WD5COV
Station: WD5COV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NM

Total:  QSOs = 1163  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 61  Total Score = 531,240

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I had the station all ready to go and was just waiting for the sun to go down.
Grabbed a large glass of ice tea and went to take a listen to the band. I could
hear many east coast stations as I tuned around so it was on. My first Q was
VA2EW at 23:50Z. At 0102 EF8R called in. Later in the hour S51V was my first EU
at 0154Z. My next EU wasn't until 0504Z when HG8DX called. My friend Arliss W7XU
from SD completed my WAS at 0800Z.
I wondered what the second night would be like. Seemed to start off the same way
with EA1DR calling at 0110Z and shortly after at 0124Z RL3A - Thanks Dima! Condx
seemed pretty good and after 0600Z the band really opened for us out west. Not
like the great spotlight openings I remember from 2009 - 10 but close. Worked my
last EU GI3OQR at 0859Z but already logged a few JA stations. Then the Asia
stations started to roll in. Much better JA opening than the first night as I
probably worked twice as many the second night. My last three mults were worked
after 1400Z with DS4EOI, BD4WN, and BV1EK. Many thanks for calling me.
This was my personal best score in a 160 contest topping the 500K  mark. Being
only 60 miles from the Arizona border puts me in the far edge of Zone 4. Really
tough compared to all the guys in say Ohio and VE3 land some 1500 miles east of
me. Thanks also to "Santa" for bringing me the new Expert 2KFA Amp
which worked flawlessly.
73 and CU next month.

Dave WD5COV