[3830] CQ160 CW K7CA Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 29 14:01:03 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K7CA
Operator(s): K7CA K7NJ N7JW NR7T WA7LNW
Station: K7CA

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: UT

Total:  QSOs = 1487  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 66  Total Score = 698,166

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Overall the contest had a lot of activity. The first night was much better with
conditions very good through the night but the second night had about 5 hours
after sunset that seemed as though signals were considerably attenuated. Both
nights we had EU openings at EU sunrise that lasted 2.5 hours Friday and 1 hour
Saturday which is outstanding for our location.  Conditions were also very good
to JA both nights. We worked 179 JA and 78 EU which is the most EU we have ever
worked in the CQ160 contest. It looks like the coming low sunspot cycle will be
great for west coast to Europe conditions. This year we had a new operator, Jon,
NR7T who was new to N1MM contesting but did an amazing job and will be a
valuable asset to the team in coming years. We had a bit of a scare when we
turned on the amplifier Saturday afternoon and had the step/start circuit fail
sending sparks and smoke into the room. We didn't have time to repair it or
spare parts so we just put a short circuit across the burned out resistor and
hoped the inrush current would not blow anything out.  Needless to say, when the
amplifer started up OK, we did not turn it off for the duration.  We had good
weather both days but cold at night. Early Saturday AM the thermometer
registered 2F. Fortunately, Jack, WA7LNW had brought wood for our fireplace
which kept the operating room nice and cozy. Riki, K7NJ kept getting so warm
that he opened the door to let some of that 2F air into the room to cool off.
  We have good antenna separation and with the low off frequency noise
transmitted by the K3s we can hear pretty good on our multiplier station even
when the CQ station is transmitting. However, some noise is still detectable
which makes it a challenge to copy signals at the noise floor. So for next year
I am thinking of designing a narrow band transmit filter to reduce this off
frequency noise to below band noise on the multiplier receiver. I wonder if
anyone is using this method now.  The station is perfect for Multi operation
because it has 3 fully independant TX gain antenns which makes the multiplier
station a lot of fun to operate.
  Hope to see you all next year when conditions should be even better. 73, Al
K7CA

Station power: Generac propane generator
Rig: K3s, K3, Alpha amp, Command amp
TX ant: 8 EL broadside/endfire vertical array 70 degree or 250 degree
        6 EL broadside/endfire vertical array 45 degree or 225 degree
        10 EL broadside/endfire array with 4 verticals N, NE, E, S, SW, or W
and
        6 verticals either SW or NW
RX ant: The TX arrays usually receive better than the beverages but we have
        independant beverages NE, E, SW, W, and NW