[3830] CQ160 CW HA3LN Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 30 11:06:42 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: HA3LN
Operator(s): HA3LN
Station: HA3LN

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: EEU

Total:  QSOs = 1047  State/Prov = 18  Countries = 64  Total Score = 462,500

Club: Hungarian DX Club

Comments:

FT-1000MP > 400W > Inv-L (~14m vertical section)
268m Beverage > USA
268m Beverage > JA

...been an experience.

I'm always amazed how can so many stns be squeezed in to such a small
band... Sometimes it was up to 300 different calls in the bandmap.
Literally every 200Hz were utilized making the band pretty noisy even
tho I listened almost only via the Beverages. The DX signals were pretty
good but due to the crowd it took effort to get the calls correctly.

With the new vertical, I did not know what to expect beforehand. I was very
happy after the first night having ~40 NA stns in the log with almost 16
states/districts. I did not know that what will happen on Saturday night. Even
if the band was full of W/K and VE calls I _could__not_ even hear a whisper even
on the beverage either. I think statistically averaging the condx from both
nights it could give an average considering the Sat NA "black out".

As I have used more than one Beverage for first time it made couple of
struggles to peel the caller when I should just switch to the other direction.
I'll never ever place the switch on the side of the desk out of prime sight...
On the other hand this actually was really good sign tho that the Bevs are
working.

The skimmer pile-ups were killer even for a simple station. It could
produce a complete wall for long minutes making the called ones
"invisible".
Actually I gave up quickly jumping on the mults 'coz I've been wasting time
only
calling in the crowd. Unfortunately, the 400W was not a S-breaker in this
sense.

I gave the last 11 minutes to myself using the HG3G call.
I could get used to this all the way in every contests... :-))

Thank you for the calls and see you in the ARRL CW.

73!
Csaba  HA3LN
http://ha3ln.hu/