[3830] CQ160 CW W6PH(@W1PH) Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 30 14:58:30 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W1PH

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: NH

Total:  QSOs = 927  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 60  Total Score = 447,321

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

FTDX3000 Expert 1.3K-FA
Antenna: WA1Z Special

I decided to fly back to the home QTH for this contest to get 10 more countries
for 160 DXCC.  I started out just picking off people that I knew and working any
DX that came up.  After about four hours it became obvious that this was going
to be fun and I started calling CQ and feeling loud enough.  Conditions as noted
by others were very good.  Two hundred of my contacts were 10 pointers and were
far easier to work than the two point W6's.  My first W6 was my buddy W6SX who
was just barely above the noise.  In retrospect I wish I had gone into this
contest motivated to make the best score I could.  I ended up with 15 new ones
which exceeded my goal.

What is the WA1Z Special?  Bob came over to my house in the fall with a
slingshot and a bunch of wire.  We were able to get a wire up about 50 feet and
horizontal another 70 feet in the pine trees.  Unfortunately I lost about 10
vertical feet and just coiled up the extra wire near the feedpoint.  I got
trounced a lot but it seemed to work.  We will work on it this summer.

See you from VP9.

73, Kurt W6PH