[3830] IARU NU1AW/9(@K9CT/WB9Z) Headquarters HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 15 13:08:53 EDT 2018

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: NU1AW/9
Operator(s): K9ZO K9GS K3WA AC9IG N9CK NE9U K9CT NN1N W9XT W9ILY NV9L K2DRH WT2P AJ9C WS9V WB9Z N7MB
Station: K9CT/WB9Z

Class: Headquarters HP
QTH: IL

  160:   123     22     9        6
   80:   515    291    24       26
   40:  1188   1043    34       49
   20:  1389   1676    48       58
   15:   542    387    26       32
   10:   157     76    12        4
-------------------------------------
Total:  3914   3475   153      175  Total Score = 6,179,848

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

We operated from two sites...K9CT and WB9Z/NV9L. We used N1MM Plus networked
between the two locations for real time logging, time sync and spots. This
operated as if we were at the same location.

Comments from the WB9Z/NV9L phone team:

Storms took us down for an hour.

Jerry and I had to draw our guns as 2 guys who we get caught "changing
their tire" were pulled all the way in to the back of our property by our
gasoline tanks.

A small opening to 10 was a nice welcome.

Enjoyed watching both horse races on cqcontest.net and WRTC2018.de.

More publicity needs to be done about the IARU/WRTC. We had to nicely school
lots of people who didn't know the exchange, more so than the other contests.

The hosts at both the CW and SSB locations were phenominal. The operators were
all great...a wonderful team effort.

>From K9CT cw team:

Awesome team assembled at both locations! Rates were absolutely terrific, even
at the worst times. Our best rates were 15 per minute in the 17th minute of the
contest, 11.2 per minute for 10 minutes and 566 per hour at 0300Z!

We had a couple of storms pass through that took us off the air. Lots of
lightning, wind and heavy rain. Storm static made listening impossible and
lightning dangerous. We lost at least 2 hours of operating.

Because of the storms, both sites had Beverages setup. We had a bi-directional
Beverage running E/W that helped a lot. Not much to EU but helped with US
callers.

We often were on four bands at once, three 99% of the time and for a while, we
interleaved on 40m. We carefully looked for the WRTC stations and worked many of
them on 80 - 15m bands. We were moved by some for the mult!

There were some mix-ups by some stations early not understanding the exchange.
However they were far and few between. We logged what we were told.

We would like to thank the IARU and specifically Dave, K1ZZ for permitting us to
use NU1AW/9 for IARU. It was an honor! We had team shirts made up for our team
members in commemoration of this event.

On behalf of the team....

73, Craig K9CT