[3830] IARU N7WA SOABCW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 15 20:21:44 EDT 2018

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH:

  160:     0    0       0       0
   80:    67    0       7       0
   40:   625    0      31      14
   20:   603    0      31      30
   15:   124    0       9       3
   10:     5    0       2       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  1424    0      80      47  Total Score = 630,047

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

It's all fuzzy right now. I haven't done a All Band DX Test in years; usually
limiting myself to a single band. It's complicated because I am in a shack
remodel and most of my stuff is still out in the garage in boxes from Field Day.
Things were further complicated because I did not want to lay out my winter
radials for the 80M vertical. I went with a new 80M delta loop and, as a result,
I think I found a solution to some of my past 80M woes. (fingers crossed)

Propagation was actually surprisingly good, I thought, considering half the year
 there haven't been any sunspots. Forty started out gang busters as I followed
the
propagation model. Two hours later I was on twenty. Three hours in, the SWR
alarm
went off. It took me about 15 minutes to figure out my 2x6 antenna switch was
now a 1x6. That was a simple fix I was only using one half anyway but it was
scary thinking I had lost the 20M yagi or it's feedline. Just a break in my
routine.

Europe showed up about 4.5 hours in. The WRTC's were kinda weak but usually
workable when found. I think I totaled about 5 in all. Lots of HQ stations and
most were loud. Six and a half hours in, I went to 15M for grins. Wasn't
expecting much but there was reasonable activity. Not a lot of mults and my main
15M antenna is fixed to the SE. In a pinch, I could switch to the SteppIr which
is rotatable and I think I used it for KH6. Why not 10M too? I tried it. I
managed 5 Q's in the ten minutes I was stuck on the band. Two mults. I never
went back.

Back to 15M and then it was really 20M and 40M depending on the prop model. You
can see the Q counts are really even. It was going to be a tossup which came out
on top.

Eighty was a shock. First, I had some noise so weaker stations were a struggle
but people were hearing ME good. I managed JA's and ZL's on 80M which is not
something I have done for a long time. I think I just need to get a receiving
antenna back on line.

The last 3 hours were a real struggle staying BIC. I had a kitchen timer going I
would reset every 20 minutes just in case I fell asleep. It never had to wake me
up thankfully.

I don't think you'll see me in the CQWW as a 48 hour All band entry but this was
a good change. I haven't had to follow a prop model for multiple bands in a long
while but I am happy with the way it turned out.

cheers
dink