[3830] IARU N7MZW Headquarters LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 16 01:29:14 EDT 2018

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N7MZW
Operator(s): N7MZW
Station: N7MZW

Class: Headquarters LP
QTH: Cheyenne,WY

  160:   0       0      0       0
   80:   0       3      2       1
   40:   0     318     18       3
   20:   0     193     17       8
   15:   0       7      4       0
   10:   0       0      0       0
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     521     41      12  Total Score = 54,735

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

NOTE: I WAS A SINGLE OP/LOW POWER ASSISTED CATEGORY ENTRY.THE 3830 WEBSITE ENTRY
FORM WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO INDICATE MY ENTRY CLASS,AND IS ONLY OFFERING M/S OR
HEADQUARTERS AS A ENTRY CLASS CHOICE! I SELECTED HEADQUARTERS SO THAT MY CONTEST
SUMMARY WOULD BE ACCEPTED BY THE 3830 ROBOT1
 Icom IC-706MKIIG,Heil Pro Micro Headset using Vox,Vectronics HFT-1500 manual
tuner,and a 90 foot long ZS6BKW (modified G5RV)flat top up 50 feet running N-S
at an elevation of 6,053 feet from Grid DN-71 in Laramie County,Wyoming.I made
521 contacts to 21 countries in 16 hours of operating time in this contest.I
could not commit to a full 24 hour effort in this one.Sunday evening produced
S-8 to 10 over S9 QRN from surrounding thunder storms,making 40 Meter contacts
tough to copy at times.I avoided 80 Meters because the QRN was even worse on
that band.61% of all contacts were made on 40 Meters,37% on 20 Meters,and 15 and
80 Meters made up only 1% of total.I averaged 31.7 contacts per hour in this
event,and had some great runs,especially on 40 Meters where my 20 Minute Rate
exceeded 100 contacts per hour average more than a few times.As always in the
IARU Contest,I had several drive by Ops who answered my CQ Contest call,but who
were clueless regarding what ITU Zone they were in.I'll gladly pay for a tattoo
indicating their ITU Zone number,if that will help them remember their Zone for
next year! My 100 watt/single wire antenna RF signal traveled a total of 136,797
miles around the globe for this contest, and the average distance for all DX
(outside of North America) contacts was 3,337 miles.I just could not hear the
IARU Event Ops who were in Germany this year,but did manage to make contact with
other Ops in Venezuela, Mexico, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Bonaire, the Canary
Islands, Chile, Croatia, Curacao, the Dominican Republic, France, Japan, Puerto
Rico, Serbia, Slovenia, and the US Virgin Islands.I worked 14 Ops in Canada,5 in
Hawaii,and 2 in Alaska.I had a few Ops get within 2 KC of my occupied Run
Frequency,but all but one moved further away when they were told in a civil
manner that their signal was causing buckshot on my Run frequency.Although I
made a much higher score than last year in this event,I am nowhere near my 10th
place finish (for US and Canada)in 2014,5th place finish in 2015,or 4th place
finish in 2016,which I can only assume correlates with the deteriorating solar
conditions that we are now experiencing as the the current sun spot cycle
continues to bottom out.I would love to do this contest from a real station some
day,using a beam and a amplifier! Still a fun event,with a chance to hear many
familiar calls.The high point of the 2018 IARU HF World Championship Contest for
me was working 13 year old Fath Hanna,(AE4FH),who was part of the WK1DS
Multi-Single Low Power Team in Northern Florida.I love the YouTube Amateur Radio
videos that feature Faith,her younger sister Grace,and their father. Please
check them out on YouTube, as this family of Hams is doing a lot to bring
younger blood into Amateur Radio,and the contesting realm in particular.Thanks
to all that heard and worked me in this contest.Another 100 Watts and a Wire
Adventure is in the books for this 61 year old boy at heart.
73,
-------November Seven Many Zebras Walking-------Cheyenne, Wyoming