[3830] IARU LA2RR(@LA8W) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 16 05:50:03 EDT 2018

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: LA2RR
Operator(s): LA2RR LA5KO LB1G
Station: LA8W

Class: M/S HP
QTH: JO59OJ

  160:   69      0      5       28
   80:    0     82      7       25
   40:  261    224     19       40
   20:  180    368     29       46
   15:  208     91     12       33
   10:   91     55      7       24
-------------------------------------
Total:  809    820     79      196  Total Score = 1,385,450

Club: LA Contest Club

Comments:

Very very nice to have LA2RR Ole, Vice President of IARU, to operate from our
station and give the AC multiplier to so many stations.

Conditions were quite good, given the low sunspot activity.  Bands are very
different in summer and winter at our latitude.  We are below the arctic circle,
so we do not have midnight sun, but it is merely dusk for a few hours.
As a result of that 20m was more or less open all night, which we are not used
to at this time of the solar cycle.  But then low bands produced not so much DX
as we have in winter time, when we can work 40m DX all day.
10m also produced quite good E openings, and 15m was also quite good, - although
not to much DX on those two bands.  In particular we missed good openings ti
North America.

A bit painful, when Ole was running on a band, to sit and monitor other bands,
and not being able to work the multipliers due to the 10-minute rule "with
no exceptions".  It is one of my favourites to be a mult operator.
But I appreciate the challenges of different rules in the various contests, -
then they are not just another contest.  You have to develop dedicated
strategies.
Also a bit "disappointing" when you work a rare country and it is not
a multiplier, - but, OK, that's just how it is.

And we emphasized to work as many Y8s as possible, and to work everybody we
could hear.  (Sorry for negative response to your requests for QSY, but we had
to take into account the 10-minute-rule.  One QSY for you and we would loose our
current pile-up and stay on the other band for 10 minutes.)

It was great fun.
Great fun to be together with Ole and my brother LB1G Jan for several days.
And great fun to work the enjoyable contest with a decent result.

Thank you all very much for calling us !
And thank you, Ole, for joining us !
Ole and I studied together some 40 years ago, where we were members of LA1K, -
at that time the greatest contest station in Norway.  During the seventies, LA1K
fostered several of the most talented contesters and DXers from Norway.

73 de Roy / LA5KO