[3830] IARU AB1J SOAB(A)CW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 17 10:03:11 EDT 2018

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOAB(A)CW LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 16:27

  160:
   80:   74     0       6       5
   40:  229     0      18      32
   20:  215     0      21      31
   15:   53     0       6       3
   10:   12     0       5       1
-------------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

"Sometimes I wonder
What I'm-a gonna do
But there ain't no cure
For the summertime blues"   (Eddie Cochran)

Well, there actually is and it's called the IARU-HF.

This is a nice summertime diversion and and that's usually how I approach it.
This year, however, about six hours in I got all jacked up (heat-addled brain)
and went for it, shoulder to the wheel, nose to the grindstone and ear to the
ground. That was a horrible operating position, so I went back to normal but
redoubled my efforts. It paid off with my best score ever from my home
pseudo-station.

It was a long time until I could hear any of the WRTC stations, which were
uniformly weak here. There were four categories of EU stations by signal
strength: high power fixed stations, low power fixed stations, WRTC stations and
QRP (say, Huh?). To find the WRTC guys, I just dug down to the third level and
looked for fast, efficient ops but I only worked 19 of them. I assume their's
was pretty much a European slug fest, with a few outside jabs to the remote
territories.

I planned to wrap it up at 2:30 am local time and went to bed but somewhere
along the way I accidently activated my alarm clock for 6:30 am. Drat, but since
I'd never get back to sleep I got up and operated till the end at 8:00 am. The
morning noise floor was so low I thought my receiver was busted (overnight
EMP?), but no, things were just quiet. All my neighbors had turned off their
demented noise making gizmos and were still sleeping. I scrapped together a few
more QSOs for smooth finish with a little aftertaste of coffee and a hint of
chocolate.

All in all, a really great contest, an antidote for those summertime blues as we
go slip, slip, sliding away deeper and deeper into the sunspot slump. Down we
go.

Thanks for the good time.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM+
20m-15m-10m attic dipoles
80m-40m outdoor 66' stealth wire, Dentron manual tuner and indoor counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog