[3830] IARU WX0B(AD5Q) SOABCW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 17 20:01:40 EDT 2018

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 23:19

  160:    19    0       3       1
   80:   140    0      11      15
   40:   565    0      26      25
   20:   871    0      34      34
   15:   467    0      19      22
   10:    22    0       6       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  2084    0      99      98  Total Score = 1,325,810

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Lots of good rate in this contest, but without the country credits each mult is
extra important - and only one day to catch all the propagation windows. Each
contest has its own way of being unique. I've been using the IARU for
experiments because of the big stateside runs.

The weather stayed good for the full 24 - not like last year. The big T-storms
were Friday, zapping the 20m Stack-Match - so just the top antenna on that
band.

Got off to a strong start during the daylight hours, and by the midpoint of the
contest I was ahead of last year's score pace by almost 50% - beating in both
mult categories and especially in Q's. I had done a lot of interleaving of
mostly stateside runs, being careful not to try this when there were mults to be
pounced, or if a band needed a lot of fills. So that all worked fairly smoothly
except when it didn't.

I was expecting to hold this edge for the rest of the contest, but during the
evening I made some bad band choices - especially regarding 40. I didn't start
my first run there until 0330z, and earlier pounced for mults when I should have
been running zone 8 like crazy. I also got on 160 late and didn't find many
zones. And then there was a minor amp failure on the run station which was
resolved after the contest. Did the last 7 hours SO1R, and there was some down
time. Had to take time out of the excellent 40m JA run to search for mults, and
found zero DX out west on the low bands - not even KH6 or JA. There was a nice
JA run on 20 in the late evening, which also kept me off 40. A 15m JA run might
have happened in the early evening, but there is too much stuff to do
elsewhere.

So it's time to put the experimenting aside and focus on getting the strategy in
this contest right - but I still need to re-write all my scripting in C Sharp
and haven't started yet.

Made 56 Q's with the Y8's. 39 different calls out of 63. None on 80.

Roy -- AD5Q