[3830] IARU VE9RAC(VE9EX) Headquarters HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jul 19 17:51:41 EDT 2018

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VE9RAC
Operator(s): VE9EX
Station: VE9RAC

Class: Headquarters HP
QTH: Hanwell, NB, Canada

  160:   0       0      0       0
   80:   0      13      4       5
   40:   0     100     10      20
   20:   0     379     18      37
   15:   0       5      1       3
   10:   0       0      0       0
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     497     33      65  Total Score = 146,902

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

I thank Dave, VE9CB, for organizing this operation with the other Atlantic
stations in ITU Zone 9.  It was a pleasure operating as VE9RAC, my first time
operating as a headquarters station for the Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC).  I
was given the operation for SSB on 10 m, 15 m, 20 m, 40 m and 80 m.  It was
great getting thank yous for giving out multipliers.  My best previous contest
had a total of 312 QSOs and this contest had total of 497, about a 50 percent
personal improvement.  At my home, the best band was 20 m where I could use my
elevated vertical, that had four sloping radials, whose base was 9 m above
ground; I put my Ameritron AL-80BX linear on this antenna.  Until this contest
at my station, I had never put together a string of 206 QSOs on 20 m.  On the
other bands I was equipment limited to 100 Watts with my G5RV, 12 m above
ground, and a 160 m dipole, only 12 m above ground.  The radio was a Yaesu
ft-857D.  I discovered that my 160 m dipole was very quiet for receiving 40 m
signals and the G5RV was better at transmitting.  Thus, for my string of 72 QSOs
on 40 m, I had to lean over my station and switch the antennas between transmit
and receive.  This was tiring, but the QSOs kept rolling in, 73, Brent VE9EX.