[3830] CQWW VHF AC0RA/R Rover HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 23 20:34:35 EDT 2018

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: AC0RA/R
Operator(s): AC0RA KG5CCI
Station: AC0RA/R

Class: Rover HP
QTH:

    6:  606   350
Total:  687   418  Total Score = 321,442

Conditions for the contest were great on 6m overall. Saturday 6m opening seemed
very wide spread but not many qsos to be had. Sunday when the band opened my
best run was 190 qsos in 1 hour and 6 minutes reaching well over 200 rate for a
while within that hour. 2m had no enhancement that I noticed and pretty low
activity.

Digi qso totals

36 on 6m msk144
25 on 6m ft8
17 on 2m msk144

Using /r in wsjtx is a major issue. We attempted many many more ft8 qsos on 6m
but couldn't complete do to /r. The contest mode issue is minor compared to the
/r problem. Interestingly enough we had zero problems with contest mode or using
/r on msk144. Obviously this is because guys working msk144 have a clue.

The rover consisted of 5 element 6m yagi at 20ft and 7 element 2m yagi at 18ft.
as well as a 3 element 6m yagi at 12ft and 3 element 2m yagi at 10ft. The
smaller yagis were going to be used for in motion ops but we more less gave up
because ft8 was the only activity and it was far to frustrating to work ft8.
Used an IC7300 for 6m and an IC910 for 2m with kw amps on each band. Lots and
lots of improvements need to be made with the rover before next years contest.

Also would like to note I didn't sleep the entire contest. I was either driving
or operating. Dave slept a little bit while I driving but not much. Our goal
going into contest was to give it our best effort to break record which is about
220k. We did go qrt with 45 minutes left of the contest when KC0SKM/r pulled up
and we talked till the end of contest.

I'd like to thanks everyone for the qsos and especially Dave, KG5CCI for joining
me for this truly amazing contest.

73 Wyatt
AC0RA