[3830] ARRL June VHF W3IP Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jun 12 21:27:03 EDT 2018

                    ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: W3IP
Operator(s): W3IP
Station: W3IP

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FM19
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Remote Operation

    6:  365   126
  903:   10     5
  1.2:   12     6
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  537   196  Total Score = 128,184

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Found 10 Florida stations on 6 meter e skip on Saturday afternoon. That was it
until Sunday morning at 1322Z when the e-skip machine started up for the day.
The mostly single hop propagation lasted until  0113Z Sunday evening. That great
Sunday propagation and time spent on 6 meters significantly reduced my QSO
totals on the higher bands. Could not hold a SSB frequency during the peak of
the Sunday e-skip opening  with 350 watts and relatively low antennas. CW came
to the rescue, I was able to keep a good rate running on CW. I heard some grids
only on SSB, and some only on FT8, so I had to break away from the CW runs to
search and pounce every hour or so. Worked 14 new grids on 6 meters, including
K4T in EL84. Thanks guys for getting that one on the air!

My plan to use a tower mounted PLUTO SDR and a homebrew power amp on 2304, 3456,
and 5763 came to a last minute halt due to software problems with SDRAngel. Has
anyone gotten a PLUTO to work at full power out on SSB/CW?

73, Mike, W3IP