[3830] ARRL June VHF W5PR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jun 14 18:59:14 EDT 2018

                    ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: W5PR
Operator(s): W5PR
Station: W5PR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  201    98  Total Score = 19,296

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

Recovering from shoulder surgery 6 days prior and amp didn't want to key.
Couldn't move it, so I figured this would be a good opportunity to master FT8.
Missed most of the first four hours getting it configured. Finally, by day 2, I
had some decent rate (for FT8). Best hour was 20 Qs, one 16 and several 15 Q
hours. I suppose that's better than CQing with the voice keyer to what we used
to think was a dead band. I could have made way more Qs on SSB when the band was
open, but this was about learning FT8. got a strange excitement from working
FT8, but I think it was just the newness to me. There is not much excitement in
a mode where you don't copy with your ears and just glance up and say: "Oh
look, I worked somebody!"