[3830] SMIRK N7MZW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 17 23:04:04 EDT 2018

                    SMIRK Contest

Call: N7MZW
Operator(s): N7MZW
Station: N7MZW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: DN71 Cheyenne

Total:  CW Qs = 0  Ph Qs = 50  Mults = 29  Total Score = 1,827

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

My 2nd 6 meter contest ever in 28 years of being licensed.I contacted 50
different ops from 14 states, in 29 Grid Squares, and 43 US counties.My 2
element cubical quad Alligator Clip feed point was very affected by frequent
rain during the contest period.A local ham reported that my audio was breaking
up badly and was nearly unintelligible for many of the contacts that he had
heard me make all weekend.(I wish he had told me at the start of the
contest!)The issue might be a IF problem in the VHF/USB side of my Icom
IC-706MKIIG,but this same local Op advised that I had a Q5 signal when using my
ZS6BKW dipole flat top at 50 feet height running N-S at 6,053 feet elevation
here in Laramie County from Grid DN71.I suspect that earlier contacts made with
the cubical quad prior to the rain fall were made with good audio,(as indicated
by several of my first 6 Meter contacts made during an earlier ARRL VHF
Contest).Mic was a Heil Pro Micro Headset using VOX operation.Output on 6 meter
SSB was 80-90 watts.Tuner(for the ZS6BKW only,was a Vectronics HFT-1500.I had a
blast, and am now hooked on 6 Meter SSB contesting. Thanks to all for the
contacts, and for taking time to work a newcomer
on the "Magic Band" of Six Meters.I have taken steps to join
S.M.I.R.K.,so next time around contacts with me will be worth twice as many
points.
73,
N7MZW
Chuck Williams