[3830] ARRL FD K5KG 2E LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 25 17:21:26 EDT 2018

  903:     0     0      0
  1.2:     0     0      0
  2.3:     0     0      0
  3.4:     0     0      0
  5.7:     0     0      0
  10G:     0     0      0
  24G:     0     0      0
----------------------------
Total:  1740   825      0  Total Score = 8,610

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

It was a late decision to do FD from my home QTH.  In the past many years, we
have done FD at Sarasota's Twin Lakes Park. However, several of our regulars
were not available this time, including our past FD leader, Ron, WD4AHZ who
became a SK in May 2016.  This operation was a memorial to Ron, who was with us
in spirit, and with his Inrad triplexer! Ron would have been pleased.

I was fortunate that Marty, W1MD, and Bill, K9HXO who were able to join this
operation, although Bill was only able to come early Sunday morning.  By this
time, Marty and I were definitely glad to have his willing participation!  Marty
and Bill are excellent CW ops.

The focus of our operation was to be CW, and CW was definitely the sweet spot.
We did, however, have some excellent SSB runs.  Pleasant surprises were the
excellent 10m and 15m openings we had on Sunday.  We didn't plan on any of that
newfangled digital stuff, like FT8.  (Heck, we thought that FT8 was some rare
Antarctic DX!)

The WX was excellent most of the weekend.  However, in the last hour, a heavy
thunder storm passes through, so when the final 2 pm hour came, we quickly shut
down. I heard on the news later that night that someone was struck and killed at
2:25 pm on Siesta Key beach about a mile away from us.

Station and antennas:

Stations 1 & 2 - K3's @ 100w with P3's
WinTest logging
VE7CC cluster

Triband yagi @ 60'
INRAD Triplexer on the triband yagi
2el 40m yagi @ 75'
80m inv Vee, apex @ 60'

Thanks to all the FD stations for the QSO's.  Kudos to those FD station hosting
new comers, especially the youngsters.  We were so happy to work a number of
them.

73, George, K5KG