[3830] ARRL FD WD9EWK 1B LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jun 27 20:00:10 EDT 2018

                    ARRL Field Day

Call: WD9EWK
Operator(s): WD9EWK
Station: WD9EWK

Class: 1B LP
QTH: Arizona

   40:           9
   20:          10      5
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   0      29      9  Total Score = 544

QSO totals include 10 phone QSOs and 4 digital QSOs via satellite, along with
450 points in bonuses (100-point bonuses for 100% emergency power, set-up in a
public place, copying the W1AW Field Day message, and completing a satellite
QSO; 50-point bonus for using the b4h.net applet to submit my Field Day entry to
ARRL).

It was a nice day for radio, operating from a picnic area in the Kaibab National
Forest, 25 miles west of Flagstaff AZ along old US-66. This was the first time I
used my recently-assembled Elecraft K3S for Field Day. The K3S did very well at
50W, to ease the load on my large jumpstart battery. I even made some RTTY QSOs
on 20m, something I haven't done during Field Day in about 15 years. Nice to see
some cross-country propagation open up late Saturday afternoon into the evening.
Since I ran the K3S at 50W, this was the first time I have not done Field Day
under my own call sign in the QRP category. It was worth the move up from QRP to
the Low Power category.

I made QSOs on 6 different satellites - 4 FM satellites (AO-85. AO-91, AO-92,
SO-50), one SSB satellite (CAS-4B), and one digital satellite (NO-84). The FM
satellites were, as expected, jammed with activity, except for one AO-92 pass a
few minutes after Field Day started at 1800 UTC Saturday. AO-92 had its 1.2 GHz
uplink on at the start of Field Day, and I was one of only 3 stations heard on
that pass. I worked one of the other two stations for the first Field Day QSO in
my log, and the 100-point satellite bonus. NO-84's 145.825 MHz packet/APRS
digipeater was active, which was probably the easiest way to get Field Day
satellite QSOs. I worked VE7VVC in Vancouver for the only QSO completed during a
pass over the continental USA and most of Canada late Saturday afternoon. The
next NO-84 pass saw three other stations with me, and we all worked each other
for Field Day QSOs.

As always, Field Day is fun! Now that I have used the K3S on the HF bands for
Field Day, I know what to expect for Field Day 2019.

73!