[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE4GV SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 4 20:47:17 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE4GV
Operator(s): VE4GV
Station: VE4GV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MB

  160:    1       1
   80:    5       5
   40:   29      28
   20:  544      82
   15:   32      23
   10:    0       0
-------------------
Total:  611  139254  Total Score = 254,320

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

I wasn’t exactly sure what kind of conditions we were going to have for the
contest considering the lousy propagation we have been having in Canada lately.
The Aurora has been very prominent and that never bodes well for VE4 land
conditions especially over the pole. I also noted that the city noise appears to
be getting greater each year. I am now reaching S7to S9 on certain days on the
20 m and 40 m bands. Unbelievable.

I did note that most of the VE4 regulars were absent on out of town so it was up
to me to hold up the Manitoba multiplier.  As usual, from this location at this
time of the cycle it is usually a 20 m slugfest with very little running on 40
m. I had some occasional short runs to Eu on 20 m after being spotted as a mult
but mostly it was a search and pounce fest, hunting for mults. 15 never really
opened the way I had hoped and 10 m was completely shut the whole test.

On the bright side, I ran high power for the entire contest I didn’t hear a
peep from the neighbors. I can’t say the same for our new cable router which
continues to stop functioning and wink out when I’m on 40.

Look for me at the end of the month at VE6SV probably running a VC6 prefix.

73 Rob VE4GV