[3830] ARRLDX SSB N5AW SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 4 21:51:33 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TX

Total: 1000   301  Total Score = 903,000

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

CW weekend was marred by bad line noise on the low bands but it went away
shortly after the contest - probably due to some heavy rains. Well guess what -
it showed back up for phone. With the wider receiver pass band on phone it was
S7 on 160 and S5 on 80! Unfortunately it is coming from the NE and my NE
beverage doesn't help much. At least it is not as bad on the NW and SE
beverages. Not only that but Friday evening there were "birdies" every
5kHz across 160 and 80. Saturday morning I traced that down to a power supply.
Don't know why it suddenly got noisy - had not been a problem before.

Anyway after that start I had a hard time staying motivated but still put in 35
hours. Spent more time on 15 and 10 than I would have if I was trying to
maximize my score. Running Europe on 20 and 40 from here is real work and I
didn't work very hard at it.

I thought conditions were not quite as good as they were for the CW weekend but
considering where we are in the sunspot cycle they were about as good as you
could expect.

Gotta find this noise!!!

                             2018 ARRL DX Test N5AW
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
       NA calls =    13    28    32    46    33    15   167
       SA calls =     4     8    23    59    68    45   207
     Euro calls =     3    44    67   234    69     0   417
  African calls =     0     1     1     4     7     0    13
    Asian calls =     0     1     2     4     0     0     7
    Japan calls =     0     2    77    72     4     0   155
    Ocean calls =     2     4    12    13     7     2    40

    Total calls =    22    88   214   432   188    62  1006