[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1LT SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 4 22:37:16 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Ohio EM89[s

Total:  644   314  Total Score = 606,648

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The goal was to work every available multiplier and to increase my
"grid score" in the ARRL Grid Chase.  Thus I entered the unlimited
category and spent 99% of the contest pouncing, with just a little
hunting.  I called CQ just a couple of times to run Italians and
Chileans.

By Saturday evening I had enough multipliers to consider shooting for
100 multipliers on 20 meters, but Sunday made it evident that 100 was
an unreasonable goal.  Nevertheless, I made it to 96 mults on 20.

I worked very few stations split on 40 meters; nearly everyone was
operating simplex.  I guess I need that 40-meter beam after all.

DX worked: 4X, 5T, 8P, 9A, 9X, 9Y, C3, C6, CE, CM, CN, CP, CT, CU, CX,
DL, DU, E7, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, ES, EU, F, FG, FM, FR, FY, G, GI,
GM, HA, HB, HC, HH, HI, HK, HL, HP, HR, I, J3, J6, J8, JA, KH2, KH6,
KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON, OZ, P4,
PA, PJ2, PJ4, PJ7, PY, PZ, S5, SM, SP, SV, SV9, TA, TG, TI, TK, UA,
UA2, UA9, UR, V2, V3, V4, VK, VP2M, VP5, VP9, XE, XF4, YL, YN, YO, YU,
YV, Z3, Z6, ZF, ZL, ZP, and ZS for a total of 105 entities.  There
were only 9 countries I didn't work on 20 meters.

Worked PZ5K, PJ4G, 8P5A, and P40L on 6 bands only because 10 meters
opened briefly and erratically both afternoons.  It was interesting
how loud TI1T became while H72DX stayed a whisper.

Equipment: Elecraft K3/100; Alpha 8410; homebrew SDR stuff (beam
steering RX antennas on 160); Cushcraft X7 at 60 feet; Cushcraft X7 at
100 feet; full sized verticals on 40 and 80; 65-foot "tee" on 160.