[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1UR SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 5 11:09:01 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VT

   20: 1714   111
   15:  198    72
   10:   18     9
-------------------
Total: 2744   359  Total Score = 2,893,093

Well that was a typical ARRL DX SSB but seems for different reasons.
160 and 80 were very marginal all weekend but the geomagnetic
conditions weren't bad.  Still conditions were very poor.  I am still
hopeful for a great 160/80 weekend some ARRL DX weekend.

40M closed early to EU (usually about 0130Z) but was nicely open
from 05 - 08Z but activity was moderate.  Had a great run on
Saturday afternoon but it did not repeat Sunday afternoon.  I
did get some pops of activity near the end (last 2 hours) but
not a sustained run period.  Nice Long Path opening to VK and
Saturday afternoon.

20M was fantastic from 11Z - 19Z both days to EU.  JA was poor
Sat night - better Sun night but as usual - low activity then as
its Monday morning.  Did have 2 - 5Watt JA stations call me.  Had
one 40M Q with JA that was a struggle.  No JA on 80 or 15.  And
only one ZL (on 20M long path) and no VK on 20 or 15.

15M was a temptress both days.  I gave in and ran - getting some
nice mults but it never lasted.  Very spotlight prop.  And then
returning to 20M to "find a hole" was not easy.  Layers of CQing -
lots of frequency pushes.  Its a ritual of ARRL DX for the half
of the cycle where its the only running band to EU from 11 - 19Z.

10M was almost a bust but there were a couple of fluries for a bit.
Lucky to get the few contacts I did.  Went back for another pass one
time and the band was completely (is the antenna working?) dead only
30 mins later.  Crazy.  Must have been E-Skip.  And it vanished.

Look forward to seeing everyone for WPX as AC1U.

73 and thanks for all the Qs and hellos.

73

Ed  N1UR