[3830] ARRLDX SSB WO1N SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 5 11:13:57 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: EMA

  160:    2     2
   10:    6     6
-------------------
Total:  270   158  Total Score = 127,980

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station : FTdx5000, C3-SS at 38',40MDipole at 50', 80MVertDipole, 160MTrap L, N1MM+

Soapbox :

Double duty from home station and K1KP overnights.

Very tough conditions. From both stations. Only highlight was working
a WP4 XYL being coached through one of her first contest contacts
and hearing her let out an expression of joy when the Q was completed.
That had everyone on frequency laughing.

Couldn't resist turning K1KP's 40M beam in what I thought was less windy
conditions only to look at the wind charts later and see right around
the time I was turning it, the winds had picked up again. Fubar'ed the
indicator pot on his Tic-Ring rotator. Fortunately it came to a stop on
Europe and before ripping the coax out.

N1MM says about 9 hours from the home station. One small run on 20M, high
up in the band. All the rest S&P. Note, in the infamous words of N1IW,
"I surrender". Whiskey Oscar One November does not work. Almost 100%
bust as Whiskey Alpha One November. Changed to Whiskey Ocean One
November and that did the trick.

This wraps up another season. Tough conditions only made worse with out-
of-control line noise near my QTH. Really need to get that fixed before
next fall.

Can we get a side order of fries with those sunspots, please?

Ken - WO1N