[3830] ARRLDX SSB VA7BEC SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 5 19:09:50 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7BEC
Operator(s): VA7BEC
Station: VA7BEC

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH:

   80:    1     1
   15:   10     9
Total:  177    85  Total Score = 45,135

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Same old refrain -- propagation was terrible. Very frustrating, especially in a
DX contest!

It's really too bad that more VE7/VA7s don't get on the air. If they did,
perhaps antennas might be pointed toward the Pacific Northwest more often. That
said, since "BC" is rather rare, you'd think more operators in EU and
SA would listen for the West Coast in general but VE7/VA7s in particular. Nice
mult if you can get it.

Running to give out the BC mult is rather futile when CONDX is rotten because
the most productive band is usually incredibly crowded, and a faint VE7/VA7 is
quickly engulfed in QRM, mostly splatter from other CQing stations and/or
off-frequency S&P stations answering those CQs. I state the obvious, yes?
Well, obvious or not, it's disappointing and definitely reduces the fun factor.

But, as always, there were smile-making moments, and that's what I'll remember.
Wonderful to hear familiar callsigns and to exchange a friendly hello along with
"59 BC". Also great to be picked up on the first try or for the other
operator to start off with "7 something Charlie" and then almost
immediately continuing with "Oh, VA7BEC. Hi Rebecca".

Looking forward to WPX SSB at the end of the month, when it's anyone-anywhere.

73
Rebecca VA7BEC