[3830] Commonwealth G4FAL SO-Open24 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 11 06:40:05 EDT 2018

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest

Call: G4FAL
Operator(s): G4FAL
Station: G4FAL

Class: SO-Open24 HP
QTH: IO93EJ
Operating Time (hrs): 15h29

Total:  229  Total Score = 4,495

Club: RSGB Contest Club

Comments:

A five band contest, when two of the bands are virtually unusable, should be
disappointing, however I quite enjoyed Beru this year - especially as I had
three QSOs in the last hour, whereas last year I had none. 40m was in good shape
and worked well with my 4-square. 20m was quite good but lacking in the Far East
and Far West directions. 80m was good but the 80m opening to ZL at 6:30 on
Sunday was a little disappointing. I enjoyed the added interest from the eight
UK&CD HQ stations, working three of them on five bands and all of them on
80m and 40m. My setup had SO2R which meant I could run on one band whilst
searching on another - which is effective in a contest that is all about finding
QSOs at every possible opportunity. I was pleased to work many VKs and ZLs -
something I always dreamed of doing when I was first licensed as a teenager.