[3830] Commonwealth VA3RAC(VE3NNT) SO(A)-Open24 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 11 13:29:31 EDT 2018

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest

Call: VA3RAC
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VA3RAC

Class: SO(A)-Open24 HP
QTH: fn14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Remote Operation

Total:  474  Total Score = 5,580

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I had a few operational issues with the remote station that forced me to restart
everything in the middle of runs, but for the most part things worked well.
Between the heavy static and the lost packets over the internet, I had to ask
for repeats of numbers quite often, particularly on 80m. The noise floor from
static on 80m was about S7 later in the contest and pulling contacts out of the
mud was really painful with my inverted V. I hope to improve this situation by
next year by installing an OB2-80S above my OB17-4.
Propagation was terrible. I woke up for the European opening at their sunrise
Saturday night only to find out that the sun didn't rise after all. Saturday
night was just a gathering of a few ZLs and VKs. Although I was on 18 hours, the
last several hours were really a waste of time and didn't net me many contacts.
Next year I'll try the 12 hour category.
My highlight of the contest was having unusual stations answering my calls, like
VP8NO from the Faulkland Islands.
It was fun using the HQ station. I might try it again.