[3830] TBDC K1WHS Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 11 15:45:54 EDT 2018

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Maine

Total:  QSOs = 60  Total Score = 250

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I used the Spring Stew to check out my ailing beverages that have gotten way too
noisy over the last winter. Not sure what was going on, but it is a combination
of  not so good practices on my part, combined with some awful manmade noise
from the nearest town over the border in NH.  I made comparisons with real
signals to check out each wire. Conditions seemed to be poor toward Europe. Few
signals heard and most were weaker than I would expect.  Many had trouble
copying me with my 1500 watts. Do I need a bigger PA? Best signal heard was
VK6GX in OF88 before my sunrise. He was calling a W4 and I never found him
afterwards to try to make a QSO. The funny thing is that I copied him on my SW
beverage that I am complaining about that is so noisy! He was not audible on two
northwest wires that are very quiet. Go figure! I had plenty of fun for the
short time that I was QRV.