[3830] WPX SSB K1LZ(KC1CWF) SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 25 20:42:08 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LZ
Operator(s): KC1CWF
Station: K1LZ

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: W1

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I have to start by thanking K3JO and K1LZ. Without them, this would not be
possible. Obviously, I cannot be more greatful for Krassy letting me use his FB
station. Velimir was invaluable in getting the station ready, even an emergancy
climb to 150' minutes before 00z.

A hectic week leading up to the contest. The station setup never really got
done, and I lacked some functionality. Most importantly, I never got the DVKs
interfaced to the computer. This proved very challenging. Other problems
sprouted, but those proved to be all my fault. The strategy was pretty poor
gambling on condx Sunday that never materialized. I thought the 20m stack was
broken for a moment.

Was planning on full 48. Made a lot of dumb mistakes. Sunday morning found
myself with powerline noise, no rate, a broken and beat up operator, and a
sister recovering from surgery. I ended it. I think I was good for 7m and 2300
QSOs or so. Clearly, the op is far lesser than the station. The station had some
hardware problems, but none of which effected the score!

A highlight of the weekend was using the new Icom IC-7610. It proved excellent
and invaluable. It simply worked flawlessly in a high RF, SO2R environment. Its
filtering is excellent, and strong signal handling, quite impressive. No
overload problems at all, even with 2 radios on 20m at times. Flawless.

Sometimes things go well, sometimes you strike out. None the less, I still love
this game.

Marty
KC1CWF
Age 16.

Hardware:

160m: Dipole
80m: 4el wire beam to EU missing an element / single vertical
40m: 3/3 stack + 3el
20m: 5/5/5 stack + 5el (never used bottom antenna)
15m: 6/6/6 stack + 6/6/6 stack (only ever used top antenna)
10m: never made a q. 7/7/7 + 10m 4 quad H frame + 7el.

IC-7800+IC-7610
N1MM+ and DXLog for antenna switching - 1 computer 2 keyboards
1 crappy LID of an op.

Thanks for the Qs.