[3830] WPX SSB KB1RI SO(A)AB TB-Wires HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 25 22:33:40 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KB1RI
Operator(s): KB1RI
Station: KB1RI

Class: SO(A)AB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: NC - FM05

Total: 1109  Prefixes = 453  Total Score = 924,573

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Started the contest feeling tired and not too enthusiastic Friday with a goal of
500 Q's. Rates started out kind of slow with just S&P.  Than had a big hour
on 80M before before calling it quits at 0700 UTC when things slowed down. Got
back to it late Saturday morning and struggled getting things going on 20M until
15M opened up and that really got things going.  Even had brief success on 10M.
I went to 40M after struggling on 20M for an hour at 2000 UTC.  Then things just
took off for 5 hours on 40M. Slid up to 80M for a couple good hours ending at
0400 with a great 45 minutes on 160M.  Blew through the 500 QSO goal, now I was
excited an 1000 Q's looked like a slam dunk on Sunday.  Had some guests spending
the night and reluctantly pulled the plug at 0400 until late Sunday morning.
Sunday was a real struggle for me on 20-10M.  I could hear lots of European
stations.  But, they couldn't hear me. Very frustrating!  The 1000 goal was
looking pretty sketchy.  So, I went back to 40M for the last 3 hours. I pushed
over the 1000 Q mark with just over an hour to go.  Then I ended on high note
with a very good for me 87 last hour. I really need to find an antenna that will
get me more European QSO points and mults on 20M & 15M. All in all much
better results than I anticipated and disappointed I got off to a slow start.
Thanks to all the PVRC stations that gave me Q's especially on the low bands.
Running on 160M was really a treat with my simple Inverted-L.

73 till next time,
Eric