[3830] WPX SSB KU8E SOAB TB-Wires HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 25 23:07:03 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KU8E
Operator(s): KU8E
Station: KU8E

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 13:00

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

K3-100 / KPA500 and various wire antennas

I was fighting a nagging cold/cough all week and hadn't really planned on
getting on for the contest that much other than handling out some contacts to
friends who were operating from the Caribbean. I didn't make my 1st contact
until around 2100z on Saturday afternoon.

Started out just calling guys on 15 and 10 meters and then went to 20 meters
around 2330z. Tuned the band working guys on 20 meter and then found a really
clear frequency at 14319 and decided to call some CQ's. I almost immediately had
a pileup of stations calling me, mostly from the east coast. N1MM Plus says I
had a 117 hour during the 2300z hour. I think almost 100 of those contacts were
during a 1/2 hour stretch. Took a break for dinner around 0100z and ended up
going to 40 meters. The band was long so I went to 75 meters after working what
I could I could hear. During the 0300z hour I had a 118 hour on 75 meters. After
that died down I went to 160 meters to check it out. Much to my surprise there
were a bunch of very loud EU stations there. Worked 9A1A,DL5RBW,S56P,HB9CXZ and
S56O during the 0400Z hour. Both PJ2T and PJ4V from the Caribbean were very loud
too. Heard a loud LZ9W but never made a QSO with them. Went back to 75 meters
and got another good run going. I had several EU stations call me around their
sunrise. Shutdown for the night around 0700z.

Didn't get back on the air until until around 1930z on Sunday afternoon. More
CQ's on 20 meters increased to QSO total on that band to over 200 QSO's. I only
had about 60 QSO's on 40 meters at this point. Went to 40 meters around 2200z
and proceeded to have a 91 hour. Ended the contest on 20 meters mostly working
South America stations.

I probably had more contacts to South America than Europe because I wasn't on
during the prime time on 20 meters to Europe on either day. I usually don't
spend much time in SSB contests but I really need to stop procrastinating and
hookup some type of voicekeyer. My throat is raw now and I'm going to probably
pay for this tomorrow morning !

CU in the next one..  Jeff