[3830] WPX SSB W5CT(@K5NA) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 26 14:27:06 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: W5CT
Operator(s): K5NA K5DU K5QB W5MF K5CD K5NZ K5MXG N5NAA KG5OVB AA5R AB5YL
Station: K5NA

Class: M/M HP
QTH: STX

   40: 1485
   20: 2006

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Susan (K5DU) and I had an "open-house" multi-multi for this contest to
interest new people in contesting. We had a nice mix of "mentors" and
"newbes" to operate together. Our goal was to teach in a casual way
without the intense pressure of a competitive effort. We wanted the weekend to
be laid-back and pleasant.

For the weekend we expanded Susan's station and my SO2R station to make six
different stations and five separate operating positions. Only the 160M and 15M
stations shared a common computer. It was a lot of work moving equipment and
dragging cables around the room. But it was worth it.

For the weekend we used W5CT as our call sign. This is the club call of the
Central Texas DX and Contest Club.

During the contest all the newbes had someone to work with them to show the
proper contest operating methods and encourage them to CQ/S&P and spend time
on the air. We were pleased to see the newbes learning things quickly and they
were impressive with their on-air efforts. After a while we could leave them to
their operating and they did fine.

Not everyone was here for the whole weekend and folks were arriving and
departing as the weekend went on. On Friday night there was a four hour period
when no one was available to operate. The second night was mostly one person
jumping from station to station to keep us going. Other times of the weekend
there were open stations available. But we usually had the most productive bands
covered during the daytime.

I want to thank several folks who were extra help for the weekend.

Jarek (K5QB) came over Wednesday night and did a lot of heavy lifting and cable
dragging to help setup the six stations together with their rotators and antenna
controls for each band.

Martin (OL5Y - OK1FUA) and his lovely family visited with us on Thursday
evening. They had to leave on Friday morning after a very nice stay. While here,
Martin helped me to solve some technical issues that would have been significant
problems for the contest weekend had they not been solved.

Finally, Jim (N3BB) pitched in and loaned us two FT-1000MPs that I used on the
extra stations in the multi-multi. Susan and I didn't have enough radios to
equip more than four of the stations. Jim's radios are high quality radios that
ensured that every operating position had capable equipment for the weekend.

Susan and I feel that our efforts were rewarded with a productive and successful
weekend of training and camaraderie. Thanks to everyone who came to mentor and
those who were brave enough to come over and try contesting.

73, Richard - K5NA