[3830] NeQP W0BH Mobile/Portable LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed May 2 23:48:36 EDT 2018

                    Nebraska QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Mobile/Portable LP
QTH: 12 NE counties

   40:   74      0
   20:  111     75
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  185     75      0  Mults = 36  Total Score = 32,640

Score includes 600 county bonus points and the 2x power multiplier.

Lorna/k0why and I were looking forward to running the NEQP this year after a fun
Sunday run last year. Unfortunately, one of my teeth decided it needed a root
canal and I thought we couldn't go. The antibiotics kicked in, so we decided to
take advantage of a beautiful Sunday forecast and head up for some radio and
birdwatching fun anyway.

Since we weren't really trying to keep a schedule, we made it to 12 out of 13
possible counties in a little over 4 hours. Band conditions were really dismal
this year. We made about half the number of contacts as last year in about the
same amount of time and had to work hard for the contacts we did make.
Fortunately, it was still fun and an absolutely beautiful drive. Nebraska has
nice wildlife areas in almost all their counties, so our dog, Roxxy, also
enjoyed some run time while Lorna checked out the birds.

About 40 miles from home heading back to Kansas, our van blew a right rear tire
at speed on the interstate.  I was sound asleep, but woke up from the bang.
Luckily, the tire didn't shred and Lorna was able to stop the van with no
problems. We had a full size spare along and even got an assist from the Kansas
State Patrol. One of the officers took the chance to try out his portable impact
driver. It worked great for the lug nuts! The last 40 miles went smoothly on the
spare, and we now have four new tires on the Astro for the next run.

Congratulations to my top chasers and thanks to all who put me in their logs!

W0BH Award Winners
----------------- First Place - Very Honorable Mention ------------
Most overall Qs - N6MU/22 ----- AC5O/13 -- K5KPE/11
Most CW Qs ------ N6MU/12 ----- K5KPE/11 - AC5O/9
Most PH Qs ------ N6MU/10 ----- KC0ZVN/6 - AC5O/4
Most counties --- N6MU/12 ----- K5KPE/11 - AC5O/10

Special thanks to Fred/KB0LF for taking charge of this QSO Party and thanks to
the Nebraska QSO Party Contest Committee and QCWA Nebraska for sponsoring the
event. Next year we hope to run both days.

73, Bob, w0bh

PS A special invite to the Nebraska mobiles to come down and run our Tenth
Anniversary Kansas QSO Party the last weekend in August!