[3830] 7QP K6WSC/7 Cnty Exped SO LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 6 21:46:02 EDT 2018

                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: K6WSC/7
Operator(s):
Station: K6WSC

Class: Cnty Exped SO LP
QTH: Cochise County, AZ

----------------------------
Total:  596     0       0  Mults = 61  Total Score = 109,068

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This was my third County Expedition, and the second to Cochise County, AZ for
the 7QP.

Previously I had used a 40-10 fan dipole, but chose the Alpha Delta DX-CC for
the addition of 80m. I made that decision Thursday morning, and spent most of
the day tuning the antenna in the operating configuration hung over my mini-van
at 20 feet. That was time I had not planned for. However, that choice paid off
handsomely with 113 QSOs and some nice runs on 80m from an antenna with the ends
only 5 feet off the ground (and 2 feet over a large prickly pear cactus).

Shear panic set in just before the start of the contest when my notebook
computer would not boot. All I got was the clicking sound of a crashed hard
disk. It had worked fine the night before during station checkout. The
temperature had dropped considerably to where I had on three layers, so I
thought it might the temperature. Fortunately, after a half a dozen attempts I
got a successful boot.

The temperature would warm to the mid-90s latter in the day. My new mini-van
cooling system worked great.

The longest run was 82 QSOs on 40m lasting 70 minutes. Lots of fun. Just missed
the 600 Q mark.

The rig was a TS-590S.

At the 7QP last year, I put a sign on my van telling people to stop by, say hi,
and see the sport of ham radio in action. No one did. This year, I dispensed
with the sign and had 4 or 5 parties stop by with great interest and learn
something about ham radio.

Thanks to all the people who make the 7QP happen. It’s a great contest.

73, Bill K6WSC