[3830] NewEngQP W1DYJ Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 7 12:45:07 EDT 2018

                    New England QSO Party

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EMA

   80:     28        6
   40:     12        1
   20:     25       20
   15:      1        0
   10:      0        0
------------------------
Total:     66       27  Mults = 16  Total Score = 2,544

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I knew this was going to be an "interesting" weekend when I
read the following from Spaceweather.com:

----------
   Space Weather News for May 5, 2018
   http://spaceweather.com
   https://www.facebook.com/spaceweatherdotcom

   GEOMAGNETIC STORM: A minor G1-class geomagnetic storm is in
   progress on May 5th as Earth enters a stream of fast-moving
   solar wind. The gaseous material is flowing from a wide hole
   in the sun's atmosphere. It is, in fact, so wide that Earth
   could be inside the stream for days to come. NOAA forecasters
   estimate a 55% chance of continued storms on May 6th and 7th.
   High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.
----------

As expected, Saturday afternoon was slow.  I had to stop
at 5:30 for dinner and a concert in Cambridge.  Got back
on ~10:30 but the bands were so noisy I gave up at 11:30.

Sunday wasn't much better.  I kept checking 10 and 15 "just
in case" but they were both a bust.  Things finally picked
up around 2300 UTC.  About 50% of my Qs were during this
last hour, mostly on CW.

My second worst score in the ten years I've been participating.
And it certainly shows how sub-optimum my low band antennas are.

Rig: TS-2000
Antennas
   80/40   Modified Alpha Delta DX-CC at ~7m (NNW <-> SSE)
   HF "stack" on roof tower
      10   HB 5el yagi @ 10m
      15   Rotatable Dipole @ 11m
      20   HB Moxon @ 12m
Logger: N3FJP's New England QSO Party Contest Log Version 3.9

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ