[3830] 7QP N7XU SO MobileCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 7 18:45:23 EDT 2018

                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: N7XU
Operator(s): N7XU
Station: N7XU

Class: SO MobileCW LP
QTH: Oregon++
Operating Time (hrs): 17:05

----------------------------
Total:  757     0       0  Mults = 50  Total Score = 113,550

The plan was to do a 500 mile route, 11 hours of driving and 7 hours of sitting,
operate while moving, use a recorder to copy the audio, and transcribe it later.
Use the computer to log when sitting. I'm okay with paddling while driving.

Things went pretty well. 20m seemed noisy and not very productive. The noise
turned out to be from the inverter that powered the computer. But when evening
came and I switched to the homebrew low band antennas, it all worked very well
and no noise. I found myself doing 85 mph on the open highways to shorten the
driving time.

During the day I used a 40/20/15m 'pitchfork' of Hustler coils. After 20 m
started to die, I went to home brew single band antennas. The top of the big 40m
antenna is at 12 feet, the 80m antenna is 13'6" and guyed. Oregon legal max
height is 14 ft. Both played way better than the Hustler HF coils on the
'pitchfork' mount. I could call CQ on 80 and get answers from the New
Englanders. The rig is a 100W TS480SAT.

The bad news was trying to put the log back together on Sunday. It took 12 hours
of tedious listening to endless CQ's and noise broken occasionally by a QSO.
This made Sunday in Sweepstakes seem easy.

Final tally was 757 QSOs and 50 mults. Missed ND, MS and NM plus all the VE's
except BC and ON. I made about 70 QSOs in each of the 11 counties (and some rare
grids). I put all 11 county logs into LOTW.

Participation seemed good this year despite the lack of good high propagation, I
only worked just one European but got HC2AO on three bands. I hope everyone
remembers to send in their logs to 7qplogs at codxc.org by May 16th.

73,  Dick K4XU