[3830] NewEngQP WA1Z M/S Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 7 22:01:42 EDT 2018

                    New England QSO Party

Call: WA1Z
Operator(s): K1GQ KM3T WA1Z
Station: WA1Z

Class: M/S Mobile LP
QTH: NH, VT, ME

   80:     178       0
   40:     524       3
   20:     555      39
   15:       3       0
   10:       0       0
------------------------
Total:    1260      42  Mults = 58  Total Score = 148,596

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to K1KI for all the hard work in organizing the NEQP every year.

An even bigger thanks to those who stuck it out this year in challenging
conditions, especially the guys listed below who followed us all weekend:
N4PN was worked 46 times
W6SX was worked 30 times
WN1GIV was worked 28 times
NF4A was worked 27 times
W4CB was worked 27 times
W6PH was worked 26 times
K9UIY was worked 21 times
N8UM was worked 19 times
N4VV was worked 16 times
W4NZ was worked 16 times
N4ARO was worked 15 times

Special thanks to DL3DXX (13 QSOs), M4J (G0DVJ) (4), and XE2S (3) for looking
out for us as well.

In total, 397 different calls were worked

US States missed NE, ND, HI, AK
VE Provinces worked: NB, NS, QC, ON
DX Mults: DL, EA, G, HC, I, LY, PJ7, XE

KM3T and K1GQ came along this year to do a Multi-Single.  Kurt, W6PH, who has
come out to do the driving for the last 5 years, couldn't do it this year,
unfortunately.  These three guys are not only good friends, but have also been
contesting mentors to me for many years. It is always a pleasure when we have a
chance to do a multi-op together - even when packed into a car for 20 hours!

We managed to get to all 32 counties on our route plan.  We modified the
schedule a little on Sunday to accommodate some extra time in counties we heard
were still in demand, such as ANDME.

We had visible aurora in northern New England on Saturday night. While we didn't
stop to look up at the sky, we definitely "heard" it.  40 Meters went
long quickly and we had some surprising west coast QSOs on 80 Meters due to the
good ears of W6SX, W6PH and NA6O.  Thanks for pulling us out, guys!

The bands ended up not being as bad as we feared going into Sunday.  Twenty had
some strange simultaneous openings with long and short skip.  In all, it
could've been a lot worse!

Not a single deer or moose seen. :-(

Station:
2008 Honda CRV
Elecraft K3, 100 watts, powered from car battery
SkookumLogger for logging

Two Hustler MO-2 54-inch masts mounted on hatchback door secured by a homebrew
roof rack harness
One Hustler MO-4 22-inch mast mounted on mag mount, used for 15 Meters during
the day and 20 in evenings

Hustler RM-model resonators and DX Engineering Capacity Hats for 80 through 15
Meters.

We set up a radio on a small makeshift desk in the middle of the back seat.  Two
guys sat the in the back on each side of the radio while the third man drive.
We had two MacBooks available in the backseat, one for each operator.  We set up
some basic switching for toggling radio control and keyers so the two guys in
the back could take turns operating without having to change positions or pass
any equipment.  For the most part, we did operator changes at county lines. As
one guy finished up working stations, the other would prepare for the county
change and pick up the operating once we crossed the line.  Worked well.

We had the ability to switch to 40 and 20 for the entire contest, but 20 closed
down pretty quickly on Saturday night and even earlier on Sunday.  That left 80
as the third option.
We tried to make sure we were toggling between the two best bands available to
us at the time in each county.

Our best 60 minute rate was shared by Bill and Dave who had a combined 132/hour
in the last hour of the contest between BELNH and MERNH.

Country QSO Breakdown
ROCNH 12 in 0:13
HILNH 42 in 1:07
MERNH 102 in 1:07 (Saturday and Sunday)