[3830] 50SprngSprnt KO9A Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat May 12 23:11:11 EDT 2018

                    50 MHz Spring Sprint

Call: KO9A
Operator(s): KO9A
Station: KO9A

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Special thanks to AC0RA for an EN20 QSO - a very elusive grid for me at a tough
distance...MSK144 did the trick.  Thanks Wyatt for the ATNO!

1st contest with my new antenna system.  Replaced my decade+ old log periodic
installation and replaced it with a 5-element Op-Des yagi.  Goes without saying
that the 5 element plays much better than the old LP.

Not much in the way of Es.  A few one decode wonders here but no Es QSOs to
speak of.  Several Ms QSOs were worked along with some decent tropo, especially
to the Northwest.

FT8 - One of the best/worst things to happen to contesting.  It enables some
pretty cool/marginal QSOs at the cost of significant frustration.  Difficult to
watch contest mode vs. non-contest mode chaos.  This is the first contest that
I'm convinced FT8 lowered everyone's score.  Saw many QSOs that could've been
done in a fraction of the time on SSB or CW.  I'm also guilty as I worked
everyone I saw.  At least in the midwest I'm convinced many more QSOs could've
been made on MSK144 vs. FT8 given the conditions.  (or SSB/CW for that matter)

Meteors - Seemed very good...EN20, EN13, and FN20 were worked on rocks and all
were quick QSOs.  Heard but didn't work WW2Y...my low power likely didn't make
it above his t-storm QRN.

73

Jim KO9A