[3830] WPX CW ON3DI SOSB80 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 27 16:43:02 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: ON3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: ON3DI

Class: SOSB80 QRP
QTH:

Hi

Lately every contest that I do, I go for 80m QRP. I won 5 different contests on
that band, I love to do it. But the days before the contest I had some doubts.
80m means no sleep, you feel this days after the contest.

Anayway around 23UTC the steup was done and I was ready to contest. But Murphy
was active this contest. I'm using N1MM+, an USB II interface, FT897 and 5w as
setup. When I was responding someone or I was calling CQ sometimes he sent ON3DA
of ON3TI, numbers wrong, … Weeks before the contest I tried to do the
configuration of my Kenwood TS 590s, but I failed (yeah I don't like
configuration), so I went back to my ft897. Thank God I have printscreens of
those settings.
So I thought that that was 'the problem', but I couldn't find the solution. I
asked my dad ON2WVD for advice but we couldn't find the solution or even the
source. It was already 4UTC. I was frustrating,  I was an amateur, but not in
the good meaning. Thinks ON3DI has a good name, but when you are doing morse
like that…
At 6UTC I went QRT, full of stress...
Something other thing that caused that was a OM who was transmitting the whole
time a T on my CQ frequency. And I know it was personal because when I was 50Hz
lower he was also their. He must be using RBN. He was 59+, so no stations came
back to my QRP CQ. Ethics are gone when guys act like that, so pitty and I sure
he will do it again…

After some hours of sleep, my dad and I tried to find the solution of the
inconsistent CQ. Soon we were looking at the interface (why not during the
nightshift?). My dad had the same and with that one I had no problems. Cable by
cable we tried to find the problem. Eventually it as just a bad connection.
Anyway glad the problem was solved, could be properly QRV again.
I was QRV at 16-17UTC on 80m but there was so many QRN and QRM, it was horrible
and it didn't get any better during the night. I watched a movie (yes during a
contest!). After that I went again to the shack but there were so few stations
on 80m and they weren't easy to copy. According to that and with the predictions
of thunderstorms of Sunday I called it a day, ON3DI went QRT.
Only 5 hours QRV, only 111 qso's, not my best contest...

73

Pieter ON3DI