[3830] WPX CW KA5S(N8XX) SOSB40 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 27 21:05:04 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KA5S
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: SOSB40 QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Borrowed KA5 from a friend because I forgot to request WQ8RP from the Michigan
QRP club for this event.  I figured that KA5 would have fewer entried than N8,
and I guess it proved correct. There were quite a few folks who cold barely hear
my "mighty 5 watts to an antenna proven to be a few dB better than a dummy
load buried 6 feet under ground".... yet they asked again, again, and again
for my number until they got it.  Thanks, Cortland, for the use of your call.

Conditions were far from ideal - there were thunderstorms threatening within 50
or so miles.  QRN from lightning was S5 minimun to S9+, but it must have been
fairly local because a "reasonable number" of folks could hear me,
including a few folks in Europe, the Caribbean, and South America.  Yup, these
contacts reinforce my amazement at what operating a <5 watts to a mediocre
antenna can actually do - especially when it happens at a time when lightning
abounds, and sunspots are fickle.

Thanks to all who pulled me through the din of QRN/QRM!