[3830] WPX CW WH7AA(N2NL) SOSB20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 27 21:29:47 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WH7AA
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: KH6YY

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: Pupukea

   20: 2222

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Goal for this weekend was to proof test my half of our WRTC setup, get
re-familiarized with Writelog, and to practice some WRTC specific operating
strategies.  Considering just these goals, the weekend was a complete success.

I decided to go SB20 as this would allow me to accomplish all the above while
only needing minimal time to set up and tear down the station.  My family and I
are in our final days before moving back to the mainland so things have been
pretty hectic, taking care of all those things you have to do when you move.
I think I chose wisely as 20m was pretty good all weekend.

Conditions were outstanding for about 8 hours each day from late afternoon into
evening, with nice rate into both NA and EU, ending with AS.  Outside of this
time, there was polar propagation all weekend to some extent however absorption
was really bad during daylight hours.  38% of my QSOs were with EU.  There were
some really slow hours and I don't think I left much on the table by only
operating 32 hours.  I ended up shutting down early when my last hour netted
only 10 QSOs.

This contest concludes 8 years of living in and operating from Oceania (4 years
in Guam followed by 4 on Oahu).  It is bittersweet leaving but the family is
excited for the next chapter in our lives.  I am eternally grateful to Alex
KH6YY who allowed me to use his station whenever I needed.  I wouldn't have been
able to qualify for WRTC without his generosity.  Also to Kimo, KH7U, who was a
huge help in so many ways these past four years.

Thanks for all the contacts - see everyone on the bands from Alabama in a few
weeks.

Aloha,
-Dave N2NL/KH6