[3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 28 01:38:31 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials
I could not believe how good conditions were on 20 Meters.  It was the best 20 M
band conditions I have ever seen. It started with strong stations from all over
eastern Europe Friday evening up to 11:00 PM local (06:00 Z). And after that the
JAs started pounding in. The band seemed to be oddly quiet and I often seemed to
be the only caller. I continued to be able to work European with my 5 watts
stations at the most unusual times throughout both days right up to the end of
the contest.

10 M: Only a few (9) Qs with USA stations.

15 M: Only one European Q with 9A that seemed to come out of the blue! The rest
were Caribbean and Pacific.

20 M: I worked stuff I rarely get to work in contests including SV, 4L0A, TF,
and P33W.

40 M: My most remarkable Q in the contest was 9M6NA on 40. Those guys heard my 5
watts on the first call!

80 M: All USA and one XE.

I continue to be amazed by the lack of activity in this contest by South
American stations. I only had 14 Qs in So America with PY and LU only coming at
the end.

I had DXCC of 64 and WAZ of 25 which is the most I've had in any contest going
back to Feb 2017 ARRL DX CW.

I usually find time to CQ in this contest, but there were so many stations to
call that I never got around to it. Also, condx were not good on 15 and 10 which
are the only bands that CQing is worthwhile with QRP.

Well that's it for the contest season. See you all in the Fall!  ...Bill
W8QZA-W6QU.