[3830] WPX CW NA6O(@N6RO) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 28 10:20:03 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NA6O
Operator(s): N6RO N6WM K6AW K3EST WX5S K6DAJ WA6O NA6O
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oakley, CA

   40: 1012
   20: 1862

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The team at Radio Oakley had a great time in one of our favorite contests, with
a final score that was second only to our 2015 W6 record. Quiet conditions and
some unexpectedly good propagation were most welcome at this solar minimum.
Recent station upgrades include installation of a new Flex 6600M, bringing our
flex operating positions up to 2 and including N6WM's Power Genius XL.  This and
a lot of rewiring to fix noise, inter-station interference and reliability
issues. Also the power line noise was fixed several months ago. All of this
improved M/M operability. And having a full-house of top operators kept all the
seats filled. Here's how the bands played for us.

10 (K3EST, NA6O, N6RO): Better than the last two years. The openings could have
supported even more activity if more folks had given the band a try.

15 (N6WM Day shift with evening assistance from K3EST, K6AW, N6RO, WX5S): Chris
anchored the band both Daytime shifts with over 600 QSOs along with some long
hours beaconing. Daytime openings into Europe were there, even some runs, but
required heavy concentration to work the weak stations through regular qsb.
Regardless the presence of EU on 15 was welcome and celebrated, boosting 15
meter numbers and WPX mults. A few others teamed up to keep 15 manned during
darkness hours and it paid off. There was even a (predicted) 0900 opening to
Asia.

20 (K3EST and K6AW shared primary 24/7, with support from WX5S): Incredible,
unprecedented conditions for this part of the solar cycle. The queen of bands
was at her very best and we hammered it all 48 hours. An exceptional EU plus AS
opening on Saturday night was described by K6AW as "a very special
event" with loud callers hour after hour.  (Where do I point my antenna??
Good thing we have a stack!)

40 (WA6O Friday night, K6DAJ Saturday night, N6RO supporting): Though the noise
level seem higher than expected, the band was a big producer with what looks
like a record number of Qs for this band. Our newest operator, K6DAJ, got to
experience a full shift in the drivers seat and did a great job.

80 (NA6O): Other than some lightning noise in the evening, the band was in good
shape and easily exceeded last year's score.

160 (N6RO, WX5S): Propagation was pretty good. Not so the participation.

Highlights: A nice jam session with K6DAJ on mandolin and N6RO on banjo.
Watching N6RO do "rolling SO2R" as he manned 160 and 15 on two radios
via a 1960s stereo headset adapter box and an flying office chair.  Food,
including N6RO's legendary Contest Chili and a nice salad from K6DAJ. And a nice
bunch of guys to hang out with.

Equipment rundown:
160: K3/P3, Alpha, 4-square.
80/10: Flex 6600M, ACOM 2000A, 4-square and wire quads; 5/5/5 stack on 10.
40: K3/P3, Alpha, 4/4 stack, phased verticals.
20: K3/P3, Alpha, 5/5/5 stack.
15: Station 6 primary Flex 6600M, PowerGenius XL,  Station 5 nights K3, AL-1200,
 6/6/6 stack.

Thanks to all for the Qs and we'll see you in the next contest.