[3830] WPX CW HA3LN SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 28 17:41:12 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: HA3LN
Operator(s): HA3LN
Station: HA3LN

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: EEU

   20: 1348

Club: Hungarian DX Club

Comments:

Took 2 days off for preparing/restoring the station. Managed to finish
everything but when I sat down to the desk I felt wrecked physically. Did not
feel really in shape either but looked forward this one so long was very exited,

of course could not take any sleep.

Painfully SO1R operation with huge and continuous temptation for picking between
CQ and mult S&P.

Still no real antenna for 15m as I counted almost fully closed band for this
event but when the sunspots will appear again?

It's never been needed to switch off due to storm yet so this was my turn.
Please guess where is my QTH?
http://ha3ln.hu/wp-content/uploads/2018/Rccw20180527_1910.jpg
Yes, in the middle of the "storm-eye".

Had to disconnect everything after visible meteoric thunders simply could not
risk the direct hit any longer. Took for 2 hours. Luckily enough with a minor
off-time reshuffling I could save an hour to the contest end. No need to say
before/after the storm 80/40m was simply horrible due to the QRN apologies for
the loooads of repetition requests.

@SP9R, sorry man, I heard in traces the rest was the statics with trying to
guess what's going on the band. UBN will be interesting to see how my
"signal extrapolation" worked.

However hands on heart this turned out great as this made me QSY to 20m for the
last 2 hours where I ended up with a great NA opening.

It was interesting experience that a significant number of RBN hops appear with
typical frequency offsets. Using 250Hz filter unfortunately depending where I'm
sitting in the KHz the caller will fall out of the passband. Took a while until
I figured this out guess I lost a bunch of stns as I assumed they called someone
else... or have to try to find a rounded CQ frequencies.

YW4D was a nice surprise on 10m with very weak signal but managed to copy the
serial out on the dead band. Thanks for the perseverance.

All in all this was a great fun with great rates and good condx with several
take-aways.

Thanks to Everyone for the Qs.

CU in the IARU.

73!