[3830] WPX CW AH6KO SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 28 23:51:29 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AH6KO
Operator(s): AH6KO
Station: AH6KO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Pahoa Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 29:34

Our station is located 3 miles from the volcanic eruption here on the Big
Island. We were fortunate to make it to our cabin, take care of maintenance and
preparations for the worst, and still have time for the contest. I set a goal of
900 contacts in 30 hours, if conditions were decent. Saw no reason I could not
make that modest goal.

We had our VHF scanner and local radio station playing Civil Defense bulletins,
bags packed for fast evacuation.

It became apparent in the first few hours that this would be a long
weekend...seemed like I was running one Watt. 20 and 40 meters sounded fine, but
mainland stations could barely hear me. I was able to sustain a few runs at the
peak of conditions, but mostly S&P with a typical QSO requiring multiple
repeats on my end.

Thanks to the many stations that stuck with me. Special appreciation to NG3K who
simply would not give up until we made if after about 20 tries!

Something must be busted, even though the antennas have not fallen down, the SWR
curves look normal, and I can hear okay. The massive eruption column was right
on my propagation path the the mainland; I wonder if there are ionized gases in
there...

Completed almost 30 hours, but don't think I will go through that again (if
there is a next time).

73 and Aloha~ Stan AH6KO

100W + Dipoles