[3830] SS CW N4ZR SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 5 11:50:52 EST 2018

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N4ZR
Operator(s): N4ZR
Station: N4ZR

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My first serious contest from the new QTH, and I was pleasantly surprised.  I
had hoped for 1000 QSOs but just couldn't make the full 24 hours.

My Carolina Windom at about 30 feet seemed to be very loud on 40 and 80.

Ah, but then there was 20M.  I have very severe line noise to my WNW, which
seems particularly to affect 20.  I didn't go on 20 until Sunday, when I found
the noise was S7-8 using the 400Hz filter on the K3.  My 126 QSOs represented
2-3 times the effort for each, compared to the low bands. And I can't blame the
power company because they were out last week trying to fix the source, which
has been identified, but the ground was so wet they couldn't get the bucket
truck in.

Was anyone else surprised by the number of W9s running Unlimited?  My tentative
conclusion is that SMC promoted it for their ops who had limited time.

My setup:

K3 with K3S synthesizers
SB-220, 1KW
C-3E tribander at 50 feet (on an AB-577)
Carolina Windom at 30 feet