[3830] SS CW W0UA(@K0RF) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 6 06:35:53 EST 2018

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W0UA
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CO

I’ve had the privilege to operate this contest from K0RF for…how many years?
 LOTS of years!  But, I had the gnawing presentiment that this might be one year
too many.  Illness & just plain age have taken their toll, especially in the
stamina department.  My interest & activity levels are down.   With a couple
of other big-ticket distractions going here as well, I came into this one
unprepared, unpracticed & with a large helping of self-doubt.  Can I still
do this at all & perform at least reasonably well?   Can I validate the time
& effort Chuck took to set-up his station for me?  Finally, I just fell-back
on my first rule of contesting:  Do the best you can.  With what you have.  From
where you are.
Aaand the answer is:  YES.  I got through it about as normal.   The bad news
is…it was not a great operating performance & physically, it did just hurt
like hell!  It’s Tuesday at 2:30 AM now (CLL meds have made toast of my
sleep-cycle), and it STILL just hurts like hell (laughing).  Howard Cosell
always referred to punch-drunk fighters as being on ‘Queer Street.’  It
didn’t take long for me to find that neighborhood.  Without a Google Map…
I started the ‘run’ side on 20…and, I just plain couldn’t get answers
for the first half-hour!  Hello, 2nd radio?  Finally, things settled-in & it
was business-as-usual.  But, I’d like to re-RUN that first half-hour again
with some, ummm, CALLERS?
 So many big 5’s on—and, they were cookin’.  Almost impossible to beat a
big 5 in anything from here.   Those big 5’s are a scary lot, big stations,
great ops.  What does a guy do about that?  Tip your hat to their excellence,
that’s what!
BTW, as I’m basically a traditionalist, I nonetheless think it’s time for
some changes to this contest.  Too many hours, not enough clientele.  Shorten it
up, have it start & especially END at sensible times.  I do intend to
propose this.  We’ll see if it gets any traction…
So, did I really get called by VI Sunday afternoon for the Sweep?  It seems we
have a little mystery about this?  The same station called me last year…and,
that multiplier was REMOVED from my log, costing me a Top Ten spot.   That had a
lot to do with my deciding to do this one despite my doubts.  An opportunity to
leave the playing-field with some honor, if it must be so.  Now, I know what was
sent & what I copied.  And, I have reason to hope more than ever that it’s
the real deal.  Film at 11?
Chuck had the single-op corner set-up perfectly & it worked flawlessly.  He
took care of me like I was in intensive care, LOL.  Up at all hours to check-up
on me, bringing me food, words of encouragement (several required).
Cold-hearted little German that I am, I don’t get all touch-feely about loving
people.  But Chuck?  The big brother I never had…what a blessing in my life.
OK, now I have a whole year again to forget just how painful this is.  I’ll
keep taking my life-saving meds with their annoying little side-effects.  I’ll
be another year older, smellier, ‘tireder’ & less competent.    And…I
WILL SEE YOU THERE!
Geo