[3830] SS SSB KI9A Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 18 21:47:23 EST 2018

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KI9A
Operator(s): KI9A
Station: KI9A

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: IL

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Had planned on a full effort this weekend, then my just turned 13 grandson asked
me what I was doing, and if he could help with the radio "thing". Of
course, I said yes because he has been asking about radio for a couple weeks.

We went over the basics, calls, phonetics, sections, scoring,
exchange...everything. It was a lot for him to absorb, but was quickly writing
received info on paper as I ran.

His first QSO was with my Dad, AD9P, who gave him #001. Pretty cool. Actually
WAY cool. Aidan ended up making around 30 contacts. And asked when the next
contest was. He followed the mult map, and got fairly excited when we were down
the last couple for the sweep. I worked VE7 right after he left, but texted him,
and his response was "do we get one of the cups"? HAHA!

Anyway, condx seemed weird, could never get much traction to run, even though I
had several unsolicited "wow, you are booming in" reports on 40 &
80.

I've scoref far higher in previous SS, but, this was the best time I ever had
doing one!

73 Chuck KI9A

Rig: ICOM 7600
Amp: Heath SB1000 @ 500w