[3830] SS SSB WX3B SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 19 09:00:52 EST 2018

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a FUN 9 hour effort for me this year!!  This was a good year to fix my
water-log (coax) 75-meter dipole, because that band turned out to be the star
performer of my part time event.  I cannot remember a time, even in the last
part of the sunspot cycle, where I ever heard so many LOUD stations from the
west coast, and some of them were NOT super-stations.  Heard KH6CJJ working WT8P
on 75 meters, and understand that Jay VY1AAA called me and I didn't hear him
(apology for that, I don't think I've ever worked NT on 75 meters).

This year, I got off to a great start right out of the gate on 20 meters, and
stayed there for about 2.5 hours, went to 75 to hear some LOUD CQers but there
wasn't much rate on the band yet, so I took a break to spend a few hours with my
son Alex, who was visiting for the weekend.

Got back on the radio at about 10:45pm and ran a few on 75 until after midnight.
 The band was just starting to shorten up when I shut down.

Back in the chair at about 7:00am to a very active 75-meter band.  Short skip
was now good, and SO WAS LONG skip - still heard the western US at this hour of
the morning.

I only had a few sections to go, and WV, believe it or not, was #80, followed by
KP4 for #81, and KL7 for #82.  At about 10:00am I decided it wasn't likely to
get the sweep, however I kept listening for KP2M on 15 meters.  All I could here
were his callers, not him.

At the end of the contest, I had 9 hours of great fun, and only about 3 of those
hours (Sunday morning of course) were slow.

I noticed this year, particularly at the START of the contest on 20 meters,
there were several stations that called me and wanted to be walked through the
exchange.  That's good - NEW SS operators!!  I also worked a lot more checks in
15, 16, 17 & 18 than I remember working in the past few years, I hope that's
a good sign.

Lots of SMCers in my log this weekend, should be interesting to see which club
came out on top this year!  Having a heated competition makes things a lot more
fun.

Thanks for the QSOs, happy Thanksgiving to all, and best wishes to everyone for
the remainder of the contest season.  Bet this will be a good year for the 160
contests!

73,

Jim   WX3B