[3830] SS SSB K2KR Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 19 13:51:02 EST 2018

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K2KR
Operator(s): K2KR KC0INX
Station: K2KR

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NV

Sweeps 2018 was Kristin and my, Mike(K2KR), 19th Sweepstakes together. We
started in 1999 with Kristin and Jonathon K0DE operating it under the watchful
eye of Steve London N2IC, one of the best, with me just watching. It has become
a tradition in our house and we have been doing it Field Day style for many
years now as Kristin is married to an Air Force officer and we have to go where
she is. This year we were back in Las Vegas NV and we had to make due with her
postage stamp yard. Being that we have been here before I had taken some
measurements and we were able to put up a dipole for 40 and 80 that was a little
low and bent to fit the space allowed. The nice thing was that it worked. We
also put up a Spider Beam from the roof of our camper that we park in her side
yard, for 15 and 20 meters. It did hang over the neighbor’s house a little but
they were ok with that as it was only going to be up for a little over 24
hours.
We had a rough time this year at times as we did not have a big signal and with
everyone crowded into a tight space it made it hard at times. We also suffered
from the typical city noise floor.  We still managed 457 Q’s and 79 sections,
we heard some of the Canadian sections but did not have the power or timing to
break through the pile ups. That just gives us something to look forward to in
the future.
Hope to see all of you next year!